Saturday, May 16, 2009

May 15 Chase

If you would like to view some footage from our Pete McConnell's May 15th storm chase down in Kansas, go to http://severewxchaser.com/051509ks. Here's some of his notes:

I left Hastings at @ 9 am on Friday to head for an initial target of Newton Kansas. Newton is @ 25 miles north of Wichita. By the time I approached Newton I was advised that the target was closer to Wichita. Waited in Wichita for storm initiation. Storms started firing along the cold front at @ 3:45, so I went west toward New Hope to intercept a supercell which quickly developed a mesocyclone with obvious rotation. Had to move back east a little to a town called Andale. Sat sipping a pop with some locals waiting for the storm. The beautiful part about this day was that the storm motion was very slow, so it was easy to get set up. I was able to see the updraft very clearly as it came toward me. The tornado warning was issued. Myself and every stormchaser in the western hemisphere waited in anticipation, but no tornado. Beautiful storm structure from start to finish. Long drive home and ready for next decent set up. Pete