Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cook stormchaser for 1 hour at 350 degrees...

And I am supposed to be the disaster preparedness expert. OUCH!
This weekend I took 6 hours off from storm chasing to enjoy an afternoon at the water park. Sunburns are never good, but I got it bad. Of course I did not slowly roast to a golden bronze, I burnt my chest and my stomach and the tops of my feet so I now look like a well-basted, slow-roasted turkey. Of course our bald storm chaser, Dan, looks even worse.


Sun poisoning, which is probably what I have, is even more serious than a sunburn. The discomfort is unreal.


In medical terms, sun poisoning and sunburn are both referred to as photodermatitis, your skin's allergic reaction to overexposure to the sun. I prefer to call it Youaretoowhiteotbeoutsidus.

In the case of sun poisoning, the reaction is a bit more severe and the symptoms may become seriously uncomfortable. A typical sunburn involves itching, redness, and peeling. Severe sunburns may also be accompanied by small blisters that may lead to infection. Symptoms of sun poisoning also tend to include nausea, fever, headache, and dizziness and may also be accompanied by fluid loss and electrolyte imbalance.

If your symptoms are limited to mild discomfort, treat your skin the way you would treat any sunburn. Stay hydrated, apply ice or cold compresses to reduce swelling or itching, and take aspirin. Apply aloe if it helps and keep out of the sun. Try taking beta-carotene supplements as they've been shown to ease inflammation. Avoid using oils or anything that contains potential irritants such as fragrances and exfoliants.

On the other hand, if the burn is more painful or you exhibit any of the systemic symptoms listed above, step up your efforts to cool down and hydrate. Drink plenty of fluids and take a bath in cool (not cold) water. Pat skin dry-don't rub-and stay in a cool environment until your symptoms ease.

At any point, if you suffer from extreme pain or vomiting or if your fever grows too hot (over 104 degrees Fahrenheit), head to an emergency room. In more serious cases, a doctor can prescribe an oral steroid to reduce inflammation or administer IV fluids to restore hydration.


Folks, this current weather is wierd. They are calling this the "Year of no summer". We are being decieved by sunny days with no heat. Don't be fooled! I got my burn within an hour of being at the park!


There are dozens of events in the next month where you can come out and see the KRVN crew and the Chase Team. Get some sun block, buy a big floppy hat and stay safe. Opps! My pop-up timer just popped out! I'm done!