Thursday, July 23, 2009

Farming and Weather

I remember wanting so badly to be a farmer when I grew up. I spent a lot of time on the family farm each summer, and our family had a long history in Herefords and corn. Looking back over the last two months, I am glad I chose another route. I do not know how farmers do it. The stress, the long days and the worry would kill me. I feel so bad today about what this year has done. I drove about 45 miles this morning alredy and have been looking at damage from hail from yesterday. These fields were just replanted from the June 5th weekend storms! Not nearly all the reports are in, but as I suspected yesterday, the reports are pretty grim.
Dawson County is reporting that the damage we reported to KRVN yesterday was actually about 30,000 acres from north of Gothenburg to South of Cozad being called minor to total losses. Buffalo County is reporting pivots wrecked again, and as we had heard yesterday afternoon, the leaves were all stripped off corn in Phelps County. Near Kearney, a garage was re-located over 100 yards from a home and the home suffered severe damage.
It was a really wierd storm and tornado confirmation will be pretty much impossible on this one however the rotation was incredibly obvious and with cloud to the ground activity and heavy rain, it was nearly impossible to tell what was what.
The end result, after it all, was unfortunately more damage to fields and crops and the futures and lives of many.